Friday, May 12, 2006

Choice Words

These days it seems that we are being faced with the need for change. It's almost change for change sake! At the heart of this secular message is the notion that humanity is basically good and has within it the potential to improve its lot. Simply by getting in touch with the real you, understanding the 'deeper truth' within as Gnostics and these days Scientologists believe, sets our potential free for the good of others as well as ourself.
I was recently emailed a poem which got me to thinking about this - how subtle the way Chrisitan's are lulled into embracing what in essence is error. It seems good, on the surface, but in truth it's the old sin of Adam and Eve revisited - independance from God - 'I can go it alone', or 'I'm OK!' The poem is called 'I Choose' by Robin Dear....

'I choose to accept myself just as I am
I choose to live in harmony with my fellow man
I choose to to be the person I wish to become
I choose to be happy rather than glum
I choose to give up my need to be right
I choose to fill my life with great delight
I choose to forgive others and set myself free
I choose to be at peace with just being me.' [1]

It flies in the face of another poem...

Make me a channel of your peace
Where there is hatred let me bring your love
Where there is injury, your pardon, Lord
And where there's doubt, true faith in you

Oh, Master, grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand
To be loved, as to love with all my soul.

Make me a channel of your peace
Where there's despair in life let me bring hope;
Where the is darkness, only light;
And where there's sadness, ever joy

Make me a channel of your peace
It is pardoning that we are pardoned
In giving to all men that we receive;
And in dying that we're born to eternal life.

attributed to St. Francis of Assisi (1182-1226)

The contrast is clear - one is centred in self the other in Christ.

[1] Flash persentation of Robin Dear's poem can be found here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home